Saturday, 14 March 2009

Work Experience Day 3 - Phonic FM



Day of Work Experience - Friday 13th March 2009

Today at Phonic FM was yet another varied and interesting day. I seem to be the only person at the station that knows how to use Myriad the station play out system, so every Friday I am bombarded with people coming in to see me asking for editing help, wanted their music and jingles put on the system. More on this later....

As I was walking into the office I bumped into a friend of mine called Dave, I invited him into the studio so he could have a look around. He seemed interested so I thought it would be fun to get him to make a jingle for Phonic while he was there! He obliged and I showed him how to put together a short Radio Station Jingle.





OK back to the Myriad system. One presenter called 'Peachy' popped in to ask me how to add music to Myriad and to the Station Database. So I gave him a tutorial on importing music. I pointed out that if he wanted his music included on the overnight broadcasts he has to set 'end of intro' and 'end of extro' points on each track he adds. These are reference points for the computer so it knows when to start the next track when in automation. The 'End of intro' points are useful because the computer could fire a jingle as the introduction was playing and would know when to do this without playing the jingle over the singing in the song.

Next, Peachy asked if I could help him record an interview with a local venue owner over the phone. I recorded the phone call and once the interview was over Peachy sat with me as I edited the interview.

At the end of every week I have to make sure the overnights will run properly and will schedule the following week overnights broadcasting. I have to remember to take promos for events are taken off after the event has finished and we try to add more music to freshen up the broadcasts.

1 comment:

Kim Brooke said...

2 x photos, 3 x links. Very good description of real work duties, very good automatic links. Well done.