Tuesday, 19 May 2009

Designing Website for the media event - Media Event Blog 4

I volunteered to design and upload the official website for our event 'Your Media, Your Future'. I have had a history of web design and website maintenance so I was keen to do this for the group.
Websites I have created before are the now defunct alternativedevon.co.uk, a local music site where bands could upload their demo mp3s to us and http://www.themightybook.co.uk/ a site for the book review radio show I produce.

I wanted to make the site very basic and wanted just to give visitors an idea of what would happen and what to expect, a map telling them how to get to the college and a small amount of information on the guest speakers. I felt that the layout and look of the site had to be basic but had to be attractive as well.


I chose a website blogging tool called 'Wordpress' to design the site. I also have previously used this to set up the Mightybook site before. I uploaded wordpress to my own webspace and started inputting all the details on the event. I received all the speakers comments they had sent us, sourced photographs of them and uploaded all that information to their individual pages.

I downloaded of an image of a map pointing out where the college was and got the address information from the Weston college website and presented it on the main page.

Once all the information had been inputted I found a wordpress theme I liked and installed that. The wordpress themes are the layout of the website and thousands of themes are available for free on the Internet.

I had uploaded the site to my webspace (http://www.ukbands.co.uk/media/) I decided to buy a domain name for the site to make the address more memorable. The domain I bought was http://www.yourmediayourfuture.co.uk/ this cost just under £11 from http://www.easily.co.uk/.

I did come across one problem with the website however, on some Apple Macs, on clicking some of the links on the website would cause a virus/spyware error! I checked the site, did a virus check and made sure the site hadn't been hacked and all results came back clean! Stupid Macs!

Here are some screenshots of the site, but you can still visit the site and see it for yourself at http://www.yourmediayourfuture.co.uk/

Main Page:

Cormacs Page:



1 comment:

Kim Brooke said...

1 x logo, 7 x links (1 double)2 x screengrabs, good desc.